Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Confidence booster pedal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:34 am 

Thanks guys I have another question. Would it be possible to add potentiometers at the location of R5 and R6 rather than just changing the value of the resistors that are in the schematic so I could control its output manually? Could I use a 100 k potentiometer in the place of the 10K resistor and a 500K potentiometer the place of the 360k resistor to manually control the output of the confidence booster. It may seem like a crazy idea but I just like experimenting with circuits and seeing what they do. let me know if this can be done or how it could be done and if this these are the correct values of potentiometers I would use. I hope the pictures downloaded so you can see what I'm talking about. Lots of fun I love it!

Thanks again,
Glenn

Attachments:
Screenshot_20180213-114413.png
Screenshot_20180213-114413.png [ 698.45 KiB | Viewed 4335 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 am 

Here is a picture of the CB schematic of the confidence booster pedal thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:42 am 

I can't seem to get a picture of the CB schematic to show up on the thread I hope the schematic that's on there will help let me know thank you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:11 pm 

I seem to have done something wrong trying to post a picture of the confidence booster CB schematic. There is a explanation point at the bottom right-hand corner of my post. I'm pretty much a new member on the site and I'm just getting used to posting. Can someone help.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:36 pm 

Attachment:
CB_schemo.jpg
CB_schemo.jpg [ 27.15 KiB | Viewed 4315 times ]

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:54 pm 

Alisoncustomshop wrote:
Would it be possible to add potentiometers at the location of R5 and R6 rather than just changing the value of the resistors that are in the schematic so I could control its output manually? Could I use a 100 k potentiometer in the place of the 10K resistor and a 500K potentiometer the place of the 360k resistor to manually control the output of the confidence booster.

Would it be possible? Sure. Useful in actual practice? I really doubt it. I would think that finding an optimum (to your ear) gain for the transistor would be pretty much a one-time exercise. Once you set it, leave it there and control the output with the volume pot, per its intended use. For this scenario, I'd recommend using trimpots on the PCB, rather than full-size pots installed through the enclosure. They're easier to install, they keep the build much cleaner, and you could still "go under the hood" and adjust them if you wanted to change the transistor gain for some reason.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:58 am 

Thanks duhvoodooman I think I'll stick to your first recommendation that is just changing the value of the resistors at R5 to 220R and R6 to 220K. If I get a 40 DB gain increase with these two resistor changes that should be more than enough me. I also visited your website and I'd like to say those are some very nice pedal builds. Did you use decals on them? If so are these the same sort of decals that I can buy for a computer program at Office Depot?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:34 am 

I use full-face waterslide decals printed on a color inkjet. I buy the stock online from Papilio: https://www.texascraft.com/hps/Inkjet-W ... heets.html

Tip: If you use the clear decal stock, the graphics need to be a darker color than whatever paint you use on the enclosure. Lighter colors on an inkjet are semi-transparent, and the paint color will show through, if it's darker. They also sell opaque white decal stock, but I always found it much harder to get good looking results.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:07 pm 

Thanks I really appreciate the information it it will save me a lot of time and the burden of experimentation. I used to use decals on guitars I've built and small model cars is it the same thing apply the decal onto a base coat let it dry and spray a clear coat on top of it. What program do you use to design your decal? And do you know of any websites that I can download graphics that I can print onto the decal paper. I am basically using the confidence booster pedal to experiment with wiring Arrangements and to practice applying my decals so any information you can give me always helps thank you so much I really appreciate it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:31 pm 

Yep, apply the decal, squeegee out the excess water and any air bubbles, let it dry thoroughly, then a couple of coats of clearcoat over the top.

I'm no graphics jockey by any stretch of the imagination. I always just used MS Paint to do the decals, with free fonts and graphics images I found on the internet. Nuthin' fancy! There are several guys here on the forum that are MUCH more creative with their pedal graphics than I could ever hope to be. Check out the Show Off Your Completed Build sub-forum for examples.

There are also a couple of pedal graphics-related "tutorials" posted here in the forum, so you might want to try a search for those.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:22 pm 

I will probably try and use Photoshop to make my decals will that work? So can I use any aerosol clear coat from Home Depot? I've already found tons of graphics on the internet that I can download for free. I went to the website that you gave me and I noticed they have waterslide decals for Laser Printers that's what I would need because I don't have an inkjet printer I have a laser printer here will my laser printer work with the water slide decals they also on the website mentioned something about bake on decals do you know anything about that? thanks for all your help and I'll probably be talking to you soon