Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:42 pm 

I was trying to remove the C1 .068 Cap and replace with a .1UF Cap. In the process of desoldering, I stripped off (from excess heat prob) the pads on the board. So, now I cannot solder the new cap into the Board? Is there any way to wire each individual lead to another lead on the board? ie, Solder the leads together, since I can't solder the new cap to the board?

I was maybe guess at least 1 lead of the new C1 would go to R2 lead? Does it matter what side of the PCB board I do this on? Sorry, really naive questions here...

I've attached a pic of the underside of the PCB...

Attachments:
File comment: underside of PCB
pcb.JPG
pcb.JPG [ 32.37 KiB | Viewed 2703 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:55 pm 

I can’t see exactly where the trace goes, your premise is right, solder it to whatever comes next and what side doesn’t matter at all. I once ran a wire from the top around and to the bottom of the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:29 pm 

You’ll need to solder one end of the cap to the right side of R2 and the other end to the bottom of R3.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:35 pm 

Oh, Many thanks to Steven for the diagram. So, then just to be clear...
I can use leftover wire from original project and solder the top of C1 lead to bottom of R3, and the other C1 lead to right of R2?
Can all of this be done on the top side of the PCB? ie, not on the bottom side where I had originally soldered? OR do I risk shorting it out bc the wire will be on the top, and therefore closest to the metal cover? Would it help if I put a piece of plastic in between the PCB and the metal cover?

Many thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 pm 

bears34egc wrote:
So, then just to be clear...
I can use leftover wire from original project and solder the top of C1 lead to bottom of R3, and the other C1 lead to right of R2?

Correct, though you should only need wire for the longer run between the cap and R3.

bears34egc wrote:
Can all of this be done on the top side of the PCB? ie, not on the bottom side where I had originally soldered? OR do I risk shorting it out bc the wire will be on the top, and therefore closest to the metal cover? Would it help if I put a piece of plastic in between the PCB and the metal cover?

Yeah, do it all right on the component side of the board. I'd loop the bottom lead of the cap right around the adjacent lead of R2, snug it right up against the resistor and solder it there. Then make a small loop in the other cap lead as close to the body as possible, and solder one end of your wire to that. The other end of the wire goes to the bottom lead of R3. Keep the exposed amount of wire to a minimum. Shouldn't be a shorting risk if you do it right.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 pm 

If the leads of the cap are long enough you won’t need to solder on any wire extensions. To insulate the leads of the cap cut off some insulation from some wire and slip it on over the cap’s leads. If you do have to solder on extensions be sure to insulate any bare wire or cap lead to prevent it from shorting out.