Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: DIY Home Recording?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:43 pm 

So, what is everyone using these days?
I have a little Tascam Digital 8 Track and a solid set of monitors, but it's just good for basic ideas.

I'm looking for a setup to better record my original noisy indie rock project.

I don't even have a working home CPU, but I do have some knowledge of ProTools from about 12 years ago.

I just want to be able to record live drums in a studio and then take the track home to add guitars, bass, vocals and other misc. noises. I'm not looking to win a Grammy for Record of the year, but do something others may listen to for recreation.

I'd like to be able to use my own pedals, so I can mic my amp and probably wouldn't need any outboard effects. Maybe for vocals.

Honestly, it's been 10 years since I stepped into a recording or tried to record anything other then a guitar pedal demo, so I am starting from scratch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: DIY Home Recording?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:39 pm 

The Scarlett are affordable industry standard interfaces now, and come with protocols and Ableton(or one of the others) as free versions which will do the job nicely. The Scarlett's have a wide range of inputs so buy one that suits your needs(some drummers need 8+mics right?)
I bought a Lenovo flex around 2 years ago for like 700$ and it works perfect for studio work as well as gaming, it has a solid state hard drive and works like a charm for what I need it for.
I have studio one 2 professional and love it, very easy daw to learn and get used to but any software should work well enough. They all basically do the same thing, but not in the same way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:08 pm 

I use the Scarletts also. I have a solo I keep next to my laptop in my living room, and a 2i2 on my desktop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: DIY Home Recording?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:20 pm 

I’m a neophyte, so probably just disregard this. There are a lot of cheap or free DAWs these days, so it seems like a good way to go is just to get a decent interface to get everything into a DAW instead of looking for an all-in-one. Like Vick said.

I’m buying a used behringer XR-18 to try with the couple of bands I’m in. They’re a well-regarded digital mixer where you mix with a tablet or laptop. They also have the ability to send all 18 inputs to your DAW via USB. Seems like a good demo solution to me and I hope to try that out in the next couple of months. I bought a used MacBook Pro for me and my wife last year and I made sure to buy one that had Logic X on it already, so I’ll be using that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:38 am 

Yeah the Focusrite Scarlett line is really well regarded. I have a 2i2 that I use a lot.

The new rehearsal space for my new band has a Behringer X18 in it. Looking forward to getting multitrack audio off of that. I hear the preamps are really good, especially for the price.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:10 am 

So Friends I trust both recommended the Scarlet, too. I’m going that route.
I’m going to go conventional and pick up a year subscription to Pro Tools 12.
Last part....I’m looking for a used iMac (2014 or newer) to run the PT12.
I’m hoping to get set up for under $1500 and think I can with this setup.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:09 am 

Universal Audio Arrow is a great way to go. Not as inexpensive as the Scarlet but it has very nice converters and DSP to run effects in real time. I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:56 am 

Universal Audio Arrow would be the gold standard home recording interface.. the UAD plugins/preamps/software guitar amps are about the best you can get. I have the Apollo Twin from UAD, it's just a little more souped-up than the Arrow. All that said, the Scarlet would be a nice choice as well, and more budget friendly.

Regarding ProTools- I used it for almost 15 years, and I'm here to tell you to seriously consider switching to Presonus Studio One- it does everything ProTools does, but better, faster and easier. I made the switch in January 2018. The full professional version is $399 to own (no subscription), and I even got a half-price discount on Black Friday. There's a producer on YouTube who walks you through every feature in 100 short videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8i35_thZU6XXflI6jwYJV3tNM4LMRPua I binged-watched them all, and in one week of practice, I was faster than I ever was in ProTools.

I also have a buddy who just got the Scarlet bundled with Studio One, and he's loving it..