Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:48 pm 

Hello all,

First build, first post. Any help is appreciated.

Per the Chancellor build instructions:

"Rev 1.0

Use one of the 220n capacitors in the marked 22n on the PCB & the 47n
capacitor in the spot marked 6n8. (both highlighted in orange)".

I've assembled and soldered all of the resistors, diodes and capacitors except C12, which is the aforementioned 47n that goes in the spot marked 6n8.

Instead of receiving a 47n cap per the parts list, I received the 68n. It appears to be part of the tone stack (but I don't know what it does). Should I install the 68n matches the board layout, or wait and get the proper 47n? What will this affect?

While I'm asking questions...

1) The kit did not include the (2) extra components to perform the mod as described. Should it have? It's not mentioned in the description on he store page. I went ahead without it using the parts I have.

2) The instructions say to cut the plastic covers from the pots, but in the case of the tone pots for this build it looks like they will provide a nice insulator between the soldered connections on the back of the PCB and the pots without affecting the fit. Any reason not to leave them on in this case?

Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

If you have a rev1.1 PCB, then you should follow the PCB.

You'll need to remove the pot covers because there isn't enough room to fit 3 across in a row.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:39 am 

Thanks! It's a 1.1 board.

I hadn't considered the side by side clearance for the pots - definitely too tight in there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:24 am 

If you want to keep the insulation on the back of the pots, you can cut away just the sides. Or if you pull the whole thing off, you can use some electrical tape or double sided foam tape on the back of the pot to provide insulation. But if you mount it properly it shouldn't be a problem.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:24 pm 

Thanks - I actually gave that a shot. Those little plastic caps don't come off easy. I realized I was either going to manhandle that poor little pot to death or slice a finger off trying so I just took them off completely.

I had a little trouble installing the pots per the instructions (due to my lack of both coordination and patience) so I came up with an alternate approach. After measuring the holes carefully and verifying that they were evenly spaced, I attached tone pots in from the top side and soldered them in using a piece of plastic as a spacer to lift them the right distance from the board. Then it was easy to undo the nuts, put them back in the right way and attach the other two pots and the LED.

First build, sounds great. Now let's see how I do with the paint job. :D