Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:22 pm 

I think (hope) this is my issue, but don’t know enough about all this to be sure. This is my first build. I’ve reflowed everything. Was going back through all the components and noticed that the 3M9 that is supposed to replace the 1M for the FET mod is not correct. In fact, I’m not even sure what resistor it is because it’s not on my parts checklist. It is (orange/white/black/yellow/brown)

Bypass is working, LED comes on, but it is SUPER quiet when the pedal is on. I had it kind of half working before I reflowed, where if I played with the switches it would make overdrive sounds, but now it’s back to quiet.

Is the wrong resistor my issue? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:57 pm 

Your resistor is also a 3M9; it's just a different tolerance than the (Orange/White/Green/Gold) one mentioned in the instructions. Check out this handy tool for determining resistor value from color bands.

We're glad to help you troubleshoot, but we'll need to see photos that show the entire build. All the components, all the solder joints on the back, and all the wiring.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm 

Sorry I am just now getting back to this, here are some better quality photos I am hoping. Please let me know what I can do to make it easier for you all to help. Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Please take voltage readings of the two 4558 chips and of the 2SK246

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 pm 

Ok I’m not real familiar with the exact terminology so I’m going to give this my best explanation.

On the transistor I’m getting 0.803 on both outside pins

On 4558 IC closest to the foot switch I’m getting:

Pin
1: 1
2: 0.810
3. 0.804
4. 0
5. 0.802
6. 0.809
7. 1
8. 0.645

On the 4558 closest to the jacks I’m getting roughly the same readings

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Please watch this video and then try taking readings again. https://youtu.be/XRFtlUn4eBg

I don't think it explains the transistor pinout. The 2SK246 is actually a JFET (junction field effect transistor). If you were holding the transistor in front of you so that the legs were pointing towards the ground and the flat side of the body was facing you, the lead on the left would be S (source), the lead in the middle would be G (gate), and the lead on the right would be D (drain). Please report voltages for the S, G, and D.

I should mention that this pinout is specific to the 2SK246, which is not a very common component. a DSG pinout is actually more common with other models of JFETs. And on typical transistors or BJTs, it's not drain, source, and gate. It's EBC (emitter, base, and collector). Just FYI if you ever run into a similar problem with other transistors.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:01 pm 

Ok yeah I had no idea what I was doing before. Thank you for being so helpful. I’m sorry I’m taking up your time on this.

Transistor:
S: 7.24
G: 4.22
D: 9.11

4558 closest to jacks
1: 0
2: 0
3:0
4: -8.69
5: 0
6: 0
7: 0
8: 0
9: 9.05

4558 closest to foot switch
1: 0
2: 0
3: 0
4: -8.68
5: 0
6: 0
7: 0
8: 0
9: 9.02

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:16 am 

I can't confirm the JFET voltages since I don't have my Green Pony here at home. But the IC voltages (other than there being EIGHT pins on each of them, not nine!) look right on the money, assuming that what you reported for pin 9 was actually pin 8.

Sounds to me like you're losing your signal--either a break in the signal path or a short to ground--at some point in the circuit. A SIGNAL TESTER would be the best way to pinpoint where this is occurring, but unfortunately BYOC is out of stock. It's a simple device , though, and easy to make using the device directions available here: http://byocelectronics.com/signaltesterinstructions.pdf

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:25 am 

My word I don’t know what the heck I was thinking at 11 pm last night, but I need to not look at this stuff that late haha

I’ll look into the signal tester and try it out. Losing signal is what it sounds like is happening, it’s like it has power and makes sound, but it’s incredibly quiet.

When I did get it somewhat working at one point, where it was loud enough to hear, I would click the foot switch, and then have to move the switches to a different position and then it would work.

I’ll check out the signal tester and see what I can find. Again I really appreciate your help, and you have really brought my morale up on this. I seriously appreciate you taking time to assist.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:27 am 

Something I would recommend trying is to go through the pedal focusing on ALL of the wire connections (at both ends) and inspect them carefully for stray wire strands and solder "bridges" (solder connections between adjacent eyelets that aren't already connected with a trace). Clean up any of these you find. Then reflow all of those wire connections. Yeah, I know you said you already reflowed, but do it again. These are the most common sources of signal loss, so it pays to be absolutely sure these connections are solid. Well worth the few minutes it will take you to do this.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:32 am 

I will definitely look it over again and look for the things you suggested. I’m sure it’s something small that I’m just not being patient enough to notice. Thank you for the reply!