Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PCB Component Map Needed
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:50 pm 

Looking to mod my Analog Vibrato (Rev. 2.0) and I would like to know if there is a map for this board?
Thank you, in advance!

-=SteveO

p.s. I looked in here (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39391) but didn't find one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:27 pm 

SteveO--That's funny, I was asking about this yesterday (in your other vibrato mod thread) in prep for trying the flanger mod. If that's what you're after, and a map isn't already made, I'll let you know what I discover by studying the PCB with schematic in hand. It's a toss-up whether I start that pedal & mod next, or save it for after a tele build I will start soon, so I don't know exactly when I'll have it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:23 pm 

SteveO wrote:
Looking to mod my Analog Vibrato (Rev. 2.0) and I would like to know if there is a map for this board?

Nope. But feel free to make one! :mrgreen:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:15 pm 

WMP1 wrote:
SteveO--That's funny, I was asking about this yesterday (in your other vibrato mod thread) in prep for trying the flanger mod. If that's what you're after, and a map isn't already made, I'll let you know what I discover by studying the PCB with schematic in hand. It's a toss-up whether I start that pedal & mod next, or save it for after a tele build I will start soon, so I don't know exactly when I'll have it.

Yeah, I saw your post and thought that I'd start a fresh post to see if there would be any takers. According to Bob one doesn't exist but it would be ok for us to make one. :mrgreen:
I have the time to make one, just not the knowledge. Maybe I can work on those skills a little.
-=Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:18 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
SteveO wrote:

Nope. But feel free to make one! :mrgreen:

Thanks Bob! I have the time, unfortunately not the knowledge. Hummm, I guess since I have the time, I should work on acquiring some knowledge on schematics...

-=Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:46 pm 

SteveO wrote:
Thanks Bob! I have the time, unfortunately not the knowledge. Hummm, I guess since I have the time, I should work on acquiring some knowledge on schematics...

I wasn't really serious. Almost all of those PCB maps were made by moderator Stephen, though he's been unable to do them the past couple of years. The process involves physically tracing (no pun intended) out both sides of the PCB against the schematic to identify all the component locations and then using a graphics program to label them on a PCB diagram or photo. It is tedious and painstaking work, and GOD BLESS STEPHEN for the countless hours he put in on the many PCB maps posted here on the forum!!

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:56 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
SteveO wrote:

I wasn't really serious. Almost all of those PCB maps were made by moderator Stephen, though he's been unable to do them the past couple of years. The process involves physically tracing (no pun intended) out both sides of the PCB against the schematic to identify all the component locations and then using a graphics program to label them on a PCB diagram or photo. It is tedious and painstaking work, and GOD BLESS STEPHEN for the countless hours he put in on the many PCB maps posted here on the forum!!

The graphics program is no problem for me. I can see that doing the tracing is going to be tedious. My granddaughter is visiting us for the weekend so I won't be able to submerge myself to deep in attempting that task for a few days. But I like a good challenge (I taught myself HTML code back in the day). I can see where having a blank PCB in my hand would help tremendously. Maybe I'll reach out to Keith and see if he has one laying around he'd be willing to sell. I don't like the idea of taking mine apart, but not totally against it. But I think an unpopulated board would be more of an asset.

-=Steve
p.s. Stephen, if you read this, just know your work is greatly appreciated!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:13 am 

I have a blank one (Analog Vibrato Rev. 2.0) in hand because I haven't started stuffing it yet. Maybe I'll starting tracing a bit of it to get us started since there are a few junctions I want to find anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:04 am 

WMP1 wrote:
I have a blank one (Analog Vibrato Rev. 2.0) in hand because I haven't started stuffing it yet. Maybe I'll starting tracing a bit of it to get us started since there are a few junctions I want to find anyway.

That'd be terrific Troy!
Thanks!

-=Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:38 pm 

Oh I think Troy is that other builder, the one with the Union Jack Shredder. You can call me "Schenectady."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:57 pm 

WMP1 wrote:
Oh I think Troy is that other builder, the one with the Union Jack Shredder. You can call me "Schenectady."

Troy, Schenectady, Skeneatles, Canajoharie, Albany… they're all just "over there" as far as I'm concerned. :mrgreen:

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:11 pm 

:lol:
Yep, I am Troy!

Hi SteveO! And Scott! And Schenectady! :mrgreen:

Lmao

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:21 am 

WMP1 wrote:

Sorry about that! 'Schenectady' it is! And, I believe I am speaking for Troy as well, we'd all appreciate a little help with mapping of those areas covered in those mods!
Thank you, in advance!

-=Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:34 am 

Ok, so it's those mods you are after. I'll report on them as I get to them. But first I will also have to triple-check my work, as what I have so far indicates some deviance between the board I have (and its markings), and the schematic I am comparing it to. I have gotten as far as Q1, IC1b, Q2, and part of the 3207. Time to rest my eyes and do something a little more mindless for a while ... now where did I leave my partscaster ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:46 am 

WMP1 wrote:
Ok, so it's those mods you are after. I'll report on them as I get to them. But first I will also have to triple-check my work, as what I have so far indicates some deviance between the board I have (and its markings), and the schematic I am comparing it to. I have gotten as far as Q1, IC1b, Q2, and part of the 3207. Time to rest my eyes and do something a little more mindless for a while ... now where did I leave my partscaster ...

No worries! I have plenty of other projects on the bench. I was trying to make some headway on it and my eyes gave out about 30 minutes in. So I can relate to that. Very tedious work, indeed!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:51 pm 

So far, I've attempted to trace the part of the PCB that corresponds to the upper half of the schematic, and therefore the part that has to do with the chorus mod and the proposed flanger mod. I'll describe in words what I found, and then go read the primer that I know is here somewhere about how to post images and come back to try that.

(1) There is a 200pF cap in the parts list and it has a spot on the PCB (right next to the six-pack of 10k resistors near the 6110, and which seem to be R14 through R19 inclusive and in order, right-to-left when looking at the component side of the PCB with the writing right-side up). But it isn't on the schematic, so it doesn't have a label of the sort "Rn". It ties the base of Q4 to ground, in a fashion analogous to the way C11 (220pF) ties the base of Q3 to ground, and presumably for the same purpose. (To suppress high-frequency noise?)

(2) C7 on the schematic is 10uF electrolytic, but on the PCB it is labeled as 1uF (it is right next to the 25k bias trim pot). This makes two electrolytics of 1uF on the PCB, which matches the number in the parts list, and I'm guessing it will match what I will find in the parts bag, given that I have found no commentary on this point in the threads I have read. It connects to pin 4 of the 3207 and I can't even guess what is an appropriate value for a cap that goes there.

(3) One of the access points for the suggested flanger mod is the junction of C12 and R19. Those two components are right next to each other on the PCB and a continuity checker is probably all you need to find out which two of the four pads connect (the "lower" two); they also connect to the emitter of Q4.

(4) Here's a slightly trickier part. The proposed flanger mod also shows, on the schematic, an access point at the junction of C2 and C3, also connecting to one end of R5. These components, along with R4, are the four that occupy the space just above and to the right of the 4558, on the way over toward the 6110. C2 is the one just above the 4558. However:

--(a) C2 and C3 don't actually connect to each other. They don't have a junction. This is because the actual topology implemented on the PCB I have has C3 and R4 swapped, w/r to what the schematic shows. From the point of view of how the vibrato circuit works, I don't think it makes a difference. The series connection of C3 and R4 should have the same kind of contribution to the frequency dependence of the gain of 4558 IC1b no matter which order they are in. If what I just wrote is not correct, I would love to be corrected about it! However, it raises the question of where the connection should be made for the flanger mod. I suspect it should be at the mutual C2/R4/R5 connection, but I'm not sure.

--(b) R3 and R4 reside on diametrically opposite sides of C2 on the PCB. The values of R3 and R4 given in the schematic are, respectively, 10k and 7.5k. The values printed on the PCB are swapped from this. I don't know which way was actually intended. The two values are similar enough that perhaps it doesn't really matter.

(5) The schematic shows C5 connecting on one end to the R8/R9 junction, and on its other end to the junction of R10 and pin 3 of the 3207 and the emitter of Q2. But the other end of C5 actually attaches to +V. Pin 3 of the 3207 connects the Q2 emitter, and to ground through R10, but nothing else joins that path as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:07 pm 

Attachment:
File comment: so much for that primer ... I'll just have to wing it ... Partial map of the Analog Vibrato PCB w/r to 8/16/2018 schematic ... not guaranteed to be free of errors!
PCBtophalf03smaller.jpg
PCBtophalf03smaller.jpg [ 713.48 KiB | Viewed 7213 times ]