Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:19 pm 

Plugged in, signal when not engaged, but clicking it on, LED lights up, no sound. Hopefully these pics are able to offer up some clues.

Any advice would be appreciated. And thank you for patience with putting up with a noob!

Attachments:
2DFF6EDF-9660-439E-B0C0-04AEC5820DB2.jpeg
2DFF6EDF-9660-439E-B0C0-04AEC5820DB2.jpeg [ 397.4 KiB | Viewed 948 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:35 pm 

Another pic

Attachments:
5F72D6ED-6342-43AF-9E3D-5FA6D4EA0C7D.jpeg
5F72D6ED-6342-43AF-9E3D-5FA6D4EA0C7D.jpeg [ 371.86 KiB | Viewed 929 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:23 am 

Looks pretty good. Your solder joints should look like silver Hershey’s kisses. Some do and some don’t. Go back and put more solder in the ones that don’t. Overall, not bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:47 pm 

I would definitely recommend a complete solder reflow as a first step--detailed guidance here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

More good info here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6401

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52211

If still no joy, I'd take a set of DC voltage readings on the pins of both IC's. We can provide instructions on how to do that, if need be. You'll need a multimeter for that.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:56 pm 

I reflowed the solder joints and after applying solder to some that looked kinda subpar (even got my first good iron burn!), but I forgot to take the chips out of their sockets first. I noticed I installed a SOCKET but not the chip oriented the wrong way; not sure if that matters.

I do have a multimeter. Should I check the chips DC values?

Thank you all for your patience and help!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:15 pm 

Naaa, sockets are dumb terminals. Congratulations on the burn, it’s your first of many. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] this is a great drive, so voltages are ideal. Do you have a power supply or just battery? If it’s just a battery, a fresh battery would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:41 pm 

MrJAppleseed wrote:
I reflowed the solder joints and after applying solder to some that looked kinda subpar (even got my first good iron burn!), but I forgot to take the chips out of their sockets first. I noticed I installed a SOCKET but not the chip oriented the wrong way; not sure if that matters.

I do have a multimeter. Should I check the chips DC values?

Not clear to me from this post if the reflowing accomplished anything. Is there still no sound when engaged?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:02 pm 

Sorry, my bad. But no, still no sound. I even checked to see if I switched input/output, but both ways no dice. And it’s powered by plug, not battery.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:32 am 

A set of DC voltage readings on the pins of the two IC's can be taken as follows:

Set your multimeter to the DC voltage mode, indicated by a solid line above a dotted one. Use the 20VDC range setting if it's not an auto-ranging meter. Your power source needs to be connected and there needs to be a cable in the input jack. If the pedal is assembled into the metal enclosure, put the black probe into one of the corner screw bosses of the enclosure--this is your ground connection. If the "guts" are out of the enclosure, use the sleeve tab of the input jack for the ground connection. Then touch the red probe to each point that you want to measure. See left side of the image below for the numbering of the pins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:05 pm 

Here are my numbers, 1-8:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:49 am 

Those voltages are right on the money for both IC's, so no apparent problem there.

Something else I would check for would be the possibility of your signal shorting to ground somewhere. One likely possibility for this that we've seen here before would be the back of one of the pots shorting against a signal-carrying solder joint on the back of the PCB. Check for clearance between the backs of the three lower-mounted pots and the PCB. In particular, the dual-gang A10K Blend pot is a bit thicker than the Drive and Level pots, so is more prone to making contact with the back of the PCB. To prevent this, you can insulate the backs of the pots with electrical tape (not necessary for pots with a plastic "skirt" on them) or slip a thick piece of paper between the pot and the PCB. A piece of a business card works well for this purpose.

Beyond that, I would suggest that the next step would be to trace out the signal path with a SIGNAL TESTER. BYOC doesn't stock these anymore, but they're a very simple device and we can walk you through how to make & use one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:31 pm 

I will try that, thanks! But I’m guessing I’ll need to go the signal tester route, or if not now, someday. Is there a link to an instructional post? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:23 pm 

MrJAppleseed wrote:
Is there a link to an instructional post?

Right here: http://byocelectronics.com/signaltesterinstructions.pdf

You don't need the socket and plastic sleeves or even the probe piece. If you have an old instrument cable, cut off one end, solder an alligator clip to the sleeve for the ground connection, and a capacitor (10nf or higher) to the tip wire. This is to block any DC voltage as you test. Use the other cap lead as the probe. Plug the other end of the cable into your amp and away you go.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:19 am 

I'm a noob here but that ic chip on the left side the little circle marker should be facing the notch on the cradle it sits on? I saw your meter readings I don't know if those would read correctly if it was backwards or not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:27 am 

Rogue_Cypher wrote:
I'm a noob here but that ic chip on the left side the little circle marker should be facing the notch on the cradle it sits on?

The two IC's are correctly oriented for this circuit. The socket on the left is installed "backwards", leading to your confusion. But the sockets have no polarity and can be installed either way--they are just a simple pass-through connector. The notch in the socket is there really just as a visual cue of convenience. The critical thing is that the alignment of the IC itself matches the shape printed on the PCB. And both IC's here do so.

Rogue_Cypher wrote:
I saw your meter readings I don't know if those would read correctly if it was backwards or not.

No, the voltages would not be correct if the IC's were installed backwards.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:29 pm 

Thanks for the explanation! I figured something that simple couldn't have been overlooked.