Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:26 pm 

bhenshaw wrote:
syscokid wrote:
This part of the OP's pic is a bit fuzzy. And the red epoxy is reflective. The jumper wire between 4 & 9 looks a little "rough". I can't really tell if I'm seeing the effects of the reflection of the red epoxy, or stray bits of wire that might be coming in contact with output terminal 8?

Agreed, it's rough - I had a hard time threading that wire through cleanly after everything was mounted. It's fine though - that was just a reflection.

Just an FYI for your next build--I find the footswitch wiring method described here to be easier to perform cleanly: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33293

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:16 pm 

I had the same problem, and used this thread to take the path of least resistance. I replaced all the ICs with Texas Instruments components from Mouser, and now the fizz/buzz is gone. Bad batch of TL072's?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:40 pm 

boog453 wrote:
I had the same problem, and used this thread to take the path of least resistance. I replaced all the ICs with Texas Instruments components from Mouser, and now the fizz/buzz is gone. Bad batch of TL072's?

Don't know for sure, but very possible. We've seen a lot of issues reported in recent months that seem to point directly to the shipping of substandard or off-spec components, ostensibly due to pandemic-related supply chain problems. And some of these components will work fine in some circuits and cause performance issues in others. Frustrating for all concerned!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:27 pm 

I’m having the same issue with mine, which helps me feel better, in that I feel like perhaps it’s not our fault. I have replaced the 1072s with Texas Instruments without any improvement, and I’m waiting for the other replacement IC to arrive from China.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:13 pm 

I noticed another thread here that made me think about my own build issue:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60368

I've attached a picture of my build. As you can see, the pots are considerably angled after making everything fit. I considered shaving the PCB board down, but the traces were awfully close to the edge. Given the quality of other kits I've bought from BYOC, I just assumed it was user error. I didn't realized how much I was forcing it until I took everything out of the enclosure. I'm wondering if this could have something to do with the unwanted noise I have - possibly due to damage from forcing it in. Any thoughts?

Pic here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KRbQzo ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:17 pm 

And I just noticed there was a 2nd page to this thread I started, with some users sharing similar issues, suggesting bad components. That's good (?) news I guess. I've already gone through a few batches of IC's. Hard to imagine there were this many bad ICs produced at once, but I suppose it's possible. Maybe I'll order another batch and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:33 pm 

Quote:
Maybe I'll order another batch and see how it goes.

I'd follow the boss's advice in this post of his:

https://www.byocelectronics.com/board/v ... 61#p504395

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:17 am 
Site Admin

There are a lot of bad TL072 and 7660SCPA in circulation. Where are you buying them from? If you are buying them from China, you will likely be sent more bad parts. What brand are they? What logo is printed on the chips? I would only buy Semiconductors from either Mouser or Digikey at this time.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:29 pm 

I'm trying this. The new ICs come tomorrow. I'm embarrassed to say this is the second batch I ordered. It turns out those letters after the numbers are important :)

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/byoc-silver-pony-klon-klone-fizzy-decay.2258088/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:53 pm 

I had the same problem with a kit I bought in November of 2021. Swapped out the TL072CPs one by one, fixed the problem. Also swapped the boost chip for OPA2134PA. Love these things. Let a friend use it and he liked it better than his King of Tone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:00 pm 

Just finished a Silver Pony 2 that I thought was pretty clean, but had the same buzzing issue described here. boost & drive sides work fine, with the exception of the buzzing–you can even hear the buzzing itself stop after a note has decayed to a point below its threshold. it gets worse the higher the output/boost goes. all of the TL072s are also the weird, non-TI logo chips pictured in this thread.

should i just order some TI replacements from Mouser?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:22 pm 

slpsys wrote:
should i just order some TI replacements from Mouser?

I would. That seems to cure most of these issues.